Thursday, December 1, 2016

Nonfiction Blog: "Who Killed My Daughter"

     From the nonfiction book that I have been reading Who Killed My Daughter? By Lois Duncan it talks about the experience that the author went through when her daughter was shot and killed. So far in the book I've read that Kaitlyn Arquette, the daughter of Lois, was an 18 year old who lived with her boyfriend, Dung Nguyen. She was shot two times in her car while on her way home. She later on died at the hospital. The police told Kait’s family that it was a “random” shooting. This left Lois and her family determined to find out who killed her and why. As the story progresses you start to notice that a lot of things point to Dung which makes him a main suspect.

        A passage that I found interesting in the book Who Killed My Daughter? was right at the end when Lois talks about who her and her family think were the ones to blame for Kait’s death. In the passage it says,  “We believe Kate was killed because she was getting ready to expose illegal activities involving her boyfriend and his companions. It might have been that she was shot by the Vietnamese; it might have been that they hired someone else to shoot her. But the one thing we are absolutely sure of in our own minds is that this was not a random shooting-  Kait was assassinated.” Kait’s family believes that she was killed because she was about to reveal some illegal crimes about her boyfriend and his accomplices. The Vietnamese were probably the ones that shot her before Kait could say anything. One thing the family is absolutely sure about is that she wasn't part of a “random” shooting, in other words Kait was assassinated. This part of the text stuck out to me the most because now I see the outcome of what happens when we associate ourselves with people who aren't a good influence. Now we see that even though Kait was just trying to do the right thing about speaking up about the crimes her boyfriend was committing SHE was the one who paid the consequences.

          A lesson that I've learned while reading this book was definitely that we as teenagers should speak to our parents if we have friends or a boyfriend/girlfriend who we believe that aren't on the right path. While reading this book I've realized how much a parent can suffer with the loss of one of their kids. If Kait were to talk to her mom, dad or one of her siblings she might of not passed away. The worst part was that Kait and her family were the ones who got hurt at the end even though they had nothing to do with those crimes being committed. Who Killed My Daughter? has really been like a model for me of what could be the outcome if I ever were to come across a situation like Kait and her boyfriend. This is definitely a life lesson that tells me to be careful with the type of people I'm involved with.

                                                         



I commented on tammi's blog
I commented on nathaly's blog
I commented on america's blog

4 comments:

  1. I think you did a really good job! You did a great job separating your paragraphs and you have a lot of detail. Especially in paragraph 1, you described the characters well so people reading can get a good understanding of these characaters. I see no grammar or spelling mistakes, so that's a good thing. Overall I think you wrote a good blog, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really interested in this book and how it's a suspenseful thriller. It catches my attention and make me wonder "who shot Kaitlin?" I hope I can soon read this book because I'm truly interested in this genre of books. I say you've summed up a good amount of the book without giving the huge details. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Now I want to read this book. It's so dope. You did good on referring back on how and why you chose the passage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a really good job ! I liked the how you had a lt of detail in each of your paragraphs. The paragraph that I liked the most was the third one because you put in a lot of detail to it and that's what makes it interesting to read. Good job!

    ReplyDelete